Friday, July 20, 2012

Coin Roll Hunter Finds Acclaimed 1955 Doubled Die Cent!

Amazing finds are often hard to find, but when mountainman2 on coincommunity.com found the highly acclaimed 1955 Doubled Die Lincoln Wheatie on June 28th, the emotions started to pour.  Initially, MM2 picked up a bank box of cents from his local bank and does what every aspiring treasure hunter sets out to do, and that's to find the pick of a lifetime.  And boy did he nail it.  The 1955 was a dark patina, pretty grimey, but the diagnostics were unmistakable.  Few members doubted the authenticity, and rightfully so as there are counterfeit examples that exist in the market.  MM2 enlisted the aide of C.D. Daughtrey of coppercoins.net to verify the diagnostics by using nice, high quality images provided by the owner.  After a day or so, Mr. Daughtrey was able to deliver the great news to MM2.

As of now, the owner is going to submit this coin to a third party grader to get the "genuine" tag, as a real grade is not expected with the reverse damage.  This way there won't be any doubt to the authenticity if the even he decides to sell what would be dubbed, the most sought after Lincoln cent in history.  Initial estimates look for the coin to achieve $1,000-$1,200.

Now a bigger incentive for prospectors to continue bugging our banks for rolls!

7 comments:

  1. True, there are classic mistakes, but what about those who are not listed? I have a penny. lincon 2003 with mint floating on the date?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a 1919 wheat penny is it worth anything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless it's a high graded specimen, it's only worth a small bit of money. 1919 was one of those dates where the mintage figures really shot up.

      Delete
  3. I have a 1983 close AM in America penny.I also have a Bold 1961. Also a 1998 close AM in America,a 1978 Double Punch with a close AM and also a faded ST in STATES. Are these pennies worth anything?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I normally don't post stuff on these kind of things but I got a bunch of pennies for my cousin I got a 1992 penny I have three of them and I'm just curious to know if they're valuable or anything I don't really know what to do with them I've had them for about a year now somebody told me that when the A and the M touch they're worth something and like where it says America I don't know if that's true or not but if somebody can like reply and tell me it would help me a lot

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find a dd die penny 1944.Is it worth anything.My Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found a 1955 double die also. Where can I send it for grading? My coin is in good shape. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete